Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Curried Hummus Joins the Ranks

Everyone has their refrigerator staple that comes out every day after work.  Mine is hummus if you couldn't tell.  I never feel bad about eating copious amounts because it's not loaded with (bad) fat and you get some of your veggies for the day!  I learned that eating hummus with yellow and red bell pepper slices helps aid in total body detoxification.  Cleansing foods= always a plus.
So I was thinking about curry the other day and how turmeric, a key component to the standard curry powder is very good for you.  While it has been said to fend off such ailments as cancer and Alzheimer's Disease, it is most known for its anti-inflammatory properties.  How could I incorporate more of this into my diet?  You guessed it, Curried Hummus.
I searched around for a recipe that looked good to me and found this one, although I made some modifications: http://www.epicurean.com/featured/curried-hummus-recipe.html.  I really recommend following my modified recipe for best results- it just tastes better :)

1 1/2 Cans Garbanzo Beans, drained (reserve 1/4 C. of the bean liquid)
2 Large garlic  cloves, minced
3 Small dried red chili peppers, crumbled
Juice of 1-2 medium Lemons
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
2 tsp. Curry Powder
8 T. or 1/2 C. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Coriander


Blend all ingredients in a food processor to desired consistency.  Don't forget to  add the garbanzo liquid!  Use more or less olive oil according to taste.


I know using 1 1/2 cans of garbanzo beans seems inconvenient, but add the leftover beans to a salad or fry them up for a crunchy appetizer and you don't lose your beans.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment