Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Back again, and with snacks!

Hello, again!  After being silent for a little over two months, I have returned to this blog at the urging of friends and family whose kind words and motivational nudges have convinced me to power through my writing rut and continue to share my passion with you.  Sometimes all it takes are a few people saying, "Hey, I was reading that!" to get your gear in high.  Thanks, loved ones!
Also, the dawning of a new year always gives us the kick we need to keep after our goals, old and new.  The goal of this blog may not always be to post recipes, but food will always be here!  Of course I simply can't help sharing little tidbits...my boyfriend sometimes has to ask why I was talking to a random person in Produce and I have to admit that we got to talking about Kale and how to prepare it and what you could substitute for it in certain recipes....you get the picture.  
That was last year's goal- to break in to the whole "food thing."  Now that I feel sufficiently initiated, I can try out new goals, like exploring niche food blog subjects...the first of which I will reveal very soon!  I just have to get my materials in order ;)
For now, for this post, I have to share my new favorite snack food- Spicy Southwestern Pepita and Pecan Nut Mix.  This is the perfect thing to have laying around your house, to give to friends, or to have as a party snack.  Whenever you make it, don't be surprised if you have to make it again soon, because it goes fast.

 Spicy Southwestern Pepita and Pecan Nut Mix
2 Cups shelled, unsalted raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 1/2 Cups raw pecan halves
1 Cup shelled, unsalted sunflower seeds
1 T. chili powder (I prefer spicy)
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/8- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 large egg white

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Coat a baking sheet with canola/baking spray.
Combine pepitas, pecans, sunflowers seeds and spices in a large bowl.  In a smaller bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy, then combine and mix well with nuts and spices.
Spread nut mixture evenly on the oiled baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven, break up and clumps and turn over nuts to expose everything evenly, baking another 10 minutes.

This quick cooking project is not only an addictive snack- it fills your house with warm, spicy smells.  A lot better than an overpowering candle if you ask me!  Everyone loves this and it is healthy, too.

1 comment:

  1. Katie: This little snack was amazing over the holidays. Very satisfying and flavorful. Also, for people that may need to cut back on sodium, You can also substitute the 2 tsp. of salt for 2 tbsp of The Delicious Dietitian Thai spice blend. Thai blend is infused with the exotic, spicy flavors of Asia and tastes so yummy!! www.thedeliciousdietitian.com

    ReplyDelete